STEVEN MOFFAT REVEALS SECRETS ABOUT PETER CAPALDI’S FIRST SERIES IN DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE 476
Showrunner and head writer Steven Moffat gives DWM readers an exclusive guide to the new series of Doctor Who…
‘Oh, it’s a proper blockbuster this episode,’ writes Steven about one of the brand new adventures, ‘so many explosions that Peter Capaldi came in on his day off to watch the Daleks blowing up! I like a Doctor who revels in the destruction of evil in his downtime…’
Also in this issue:
- Doctor Who‘s production designer Michael Pickwoad on how to create entire worlds.
- Former script editor Andrew Cartmel talks to the writers he employed on what could have been Doctor Who‘s very last season: Ben Aaronovitch, Ian Briggs, Marc Platt and Rona Munro.
- Terrance Dicks – script editor, writer and novelist supreme – talks about his work on Target’s Doctor Who books.
- DWM pays tribute to the life and times of director Derek Martinus, the man who introduced the Cybermen, Ice Warriors and Autons to Doctor Who.
- The Fact of Fiction takes a detailed look at the 1982 Fifth Doctor adventure, Kinda.
- The Crystal Throne – the brand new comic strip adventure starring Vastra, Jenny and Strax continues.
- The Time Team watch the Doctor meet River Song for the first time in Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead.
- Jacqueline Rayner and her family get World Cup fever as they wait for the start of the new series in Relative Dimensions.
- The Watcher poses more questions and reveals dubious secrets from the archives in Wotcha!
- Reviews and previews of the latest CDs and books.
- Official news, the DWM crossword, prize-winning competitions and much more!
Doctor Who Magazine 476 is on sale now, priced ￡4.99
Hello there, Faithful Readers!
We’re upping our Facebook presence in the run up to the new series, so if you want to find us there, please follow this link
and “like” us there, or, if you’re super duper nice, see if we’ll add you as a “Friend” here:
Remember we’re also on Twitter @outpost_skaro and from there you can find Nic, Eddie, Derek, Jack, Bunny and Alan all milling around as well.
Happy times and places
The Actual OS Team
Familiar to Doctor Who fans as Dorium Maldovar, Simon Fisher-Becker is currently touring with his one-man show “My Dalek Has a Puncture”, which comes to The Lost Theatre in Stockwell on Sunday August 3rd.
I was lucky enough to talk to Simon about the show, and how six lines and blue make-up provided his big break.
Details on the show, including all the tour locations and dates can be found on Simon’s website at
and the interview can be found on our podcast site by clicking here.
BBC World Wide have released an updated about the recent Series 8 script and episode leak:
“We would like to thank Doctor Who fans everywhere for their amazing efforts in helping us contain the recent leaks.
The BBC have released the first full trailer for Peter Capaldi’s debut season tonight, during half time of the World Cup Final.
It can be seen here:
If you’re a fan of the game Doctor Who Legacy like me, then you’ll be pleased to have heard that the 5th Doctor has now been added to the game for use in your teams.
Due to be added as a drop in the Hunt For Greyhound One expansion, there’s a chance to grab him early if you’re quick and check out the Doctor Who Legacy newsletter on their site, or via their Facebook page.
For those interested in the game specifics, the 5th Doctor uses the green gems and has the following abilities:
Rank 1 ability: Brave Heart - Very cool new ability which allows you to replace up to 5 eliminated gems with Green after turn.
Rank 2 ability: Temporal Grace – Equally cool new ability (similar to an S-Perk and stacks with the Perk) Increase gem move time by 3 seconds for 1 turn.
Doctor Who Legacy is available for iOS, Android, Kindle and is on Facebook.
Here is a statement from the BBC regarding the recent leak of scripts for S8.
“BBC Worldwide is currently investigating a security issue around Doctor Who Series 8 where unfinished material has inadvertently been made public. We deeply regret this and apologise to all the show’s fans, the BBC and the cast and crew who have worked tirelessly making the series. We would like to make a plea to anyone who might have any of this material and spoilers associated with it not to share it with a wider audience so that everyone can enjoy the show as it should be seen when it launches. We know only too well that Doctor Who fans are the best in the world and we thank them for their help with this and their continued loyalty.”
The BBC have released another series 8 teaser with a distinctly Dalek-y voice continuing the hints towards a darker streak in the new Doctor.
The final S8 writer has been confirmed and it’s Frank Cottrell Boyce, best known for the novel & screen play Millions (directed by Danny Boyle) and several Michael Winterbottom film screen plays such as 24 Hour Party People. He was also part of Danny Boyle’s creative team for the highly successful London 2012 Olympic Games opening ceremony.
From our friends at Obverse it’s competition time! YOU – yes YOU – could win one of the following three Obverse BESTSELLERS!
All you have to do is answer the following question and specify which book you’d like to win.
WHO IS THE FEMALE TIME LORD, CREATED BY PAUL MAGRS, AND PLAYED BY KATY MANNING, WHO FEATURES IN AN OBVERSE RANGE OF FICTION? (more…)